Saturday, June 6, 2009

65 Years Ago Today...

June 6th- I didn't even stop to think about the date today and the importance of it in Amercian history. At work, I had noticed that customers had ordered cakes with American flags on them, and it still didn't dawn on me!
When Jennie leaves work before I do, she usually stops back to say goodbye. Today along with saying goodbye she said "why doesn't anyone remember it's D-Day today?"

DING! The lightbulb turns on and now I finally get it.

Just thinking about the men who stormed Normandy humbles me. Especially since my Grandpa Thesenvitz, who was in the navy, stormed the beach that day and was wounded. 65 years ago today, my grandfather, who had just turned 23 years old 13 days before, stormed Omaha beach . He was also awarded two Purple Hearts in his military career for his bravery. Wow. That just blows my mind.

I'm sad I never got to meet him. He died Christmas day of 1984. His birthday was May 24th, just four days before Jenn's and my birthday. Mom always says he would have gotten a kick out of twins!

My dad has always had a great, great respect and huge fascination with WWII which I believe has been passed down to Jennie and I. We both try to honor these days and show our appreciation as much as possible to those who fought in the war and those who fought and died. So thank you Grandpa Thesenvitz wherever you are. I'm so proud to call you my grandfather.

No comments:

Post a Comment