Friday, October 2, 2009

I Am Obsessed With Vintage

Lately, I find myself obsessing about the 40's. The hair, the make-up, the clothes, and of course the shoes! I've been craving more and more knowledge about that decade. I have always been fascinated with those years: life before, during and after the war, the glamourous men and women of the movies, etc.. But more so than lately. I only want to watch movies set in or of that time and I just bought a book about vintage hairstyling. I'm so excited! In cosmetology school, once I got the hang of it, I rocked the fingerwaves and pin curls. Looking through this book though kind of overwhelms me but practice makes perfect so I'm going to try them! Now if only I could find a pair of 40s-esque Spectator Pumps (size 10 please) that would make my life!

Whatever movie I watch, I'm always curious as to how they did the make-up. Sometimes I stare and stare and wonder about the techniques that I have to rewind large parts of the movie because I wasn't really paying attention to the plot. The same goes with hairstyles, especially in movies of the '30s, '40s and '50s. I'm glad I found a how-to book... That ought to keep me busy.

I'm off to watch a movie. Maybe Leave Her to Heaven with the insanely beautiful Gene Tierney? Or Since You Went Away? Or The Palm Beach Story? Or Gilda? Okay this could go on and on...

2 comments:

  1. Me too! I love that! I love that women actually cared how they looked in took pride in their appearance. You have to do my hair soon! I want a Gene Tierney (Laura era) style and a Jacqueline Kennedy (c. 1961) rollerset. Go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roller sets used to piss me off with I did them but the end results are usually hilarious! I love to buffant 'em up and laugh at the helmut head. Good fun. Makes me miss cosmetology a little bit. Yeah, it'd be great if everybody took that much pride in their appearance again. Then you'd have the people going "it's not all about how you look." I agree but life is short, might as well look good for it! :)

    ReplyDelete